Artificial Intelligence technology has already changed the way the logistic industry works. In this post, you can find the top five AI use cases. They help you improve your logistics business.
Artificial Intelligence technology has changed a bunch of industries, and logistics isn’t an exception. This powerful technology brought smart roads and autonomous vehicles.
I want to cover the top five ways to improve the logistics industry with Artificial Intelligence:
- Automated warehouses
- Autonomous vehicles
- Smart roads
- Back office
- Demand prediction
Use Case 1. Automated Warehouses
AI improves the warehouses’ internal processes. A lot of operations like data collection, inventory processes, and others are now automated. In addition to this, Artificial Intelligence in warehouse automation tends to predict the demands for the required products.
As a result, companies don’t need to speed deliveries. They deliver all the demanded goods to the local warehouse beforehand. Of course, it leads to the reduction of transportation expenses.
Moreover, warehouse automation allows managing everyday tasks. For example, computer vision technology tends to identify and organize products in the warehouse.
- Ocado’s success story. Ocado is a supermarket chain in the UK. It has already implemented an automated warehouse. There’s a robot called ‘hive-grid-machine’ that can carry out 65,000 orders per week. ‘Hive-grid-machines’ primary task is to move, sort, and lift products in the wirehouse.
Use Case 2. Autonomous Vehicles
Of course, there are self-driven cars on the market. But this technology brings a bunch of cool innovations to different vehicles.
For instance, these days, companies work on autonomous trucks, vans, and even ships. These solutions are able to work alone or with human workers. But mind that government from all over the world insists on a human driver to be in the cabin and control the vehicle.
- Rolls-Royce’s success story. Rolls-Royce and Intel create self-driving ships. The company has been working on this idea since the 2010s. They achieved success and launched the Intelligence Awareness system in 2018 that can classify all the nearby objects under the water, monitor the engine condition, and provide the best routes.
Use Case 3. Smart Roads
There are smart roads near smart cars.
These tech solutions focus on regional problems like bad weather conditions. For instance, the road can have solar panels and LED lights. The first ones produce electricity while the LED lights alert drivers about dangerous situations on the road.
Additionally, solar panels tend to prevent the road from becoming slippery in winter. Such a solution brings a significant benefit to the logistics since there are no delays due to bad weather conditions.
- Integrated Roadways’ success story. Integrated Roadways has already created the Smart Pavement system. It provides an opportunity to connect the cars and show the drivers real-life data about accidents, traffic jams, and so on.
Use Case 4. Back Office
Artificial Intelligence makes back-office operations more comfortable. For instance, the combination of AI and RPA (Robotic Process Automation) significantly improves work quality.
AI allows automating everyday tasks. For example, it’s possible to create a chatbot for customer support or payments. As a result, you can gain more customers’ trust and loyalty since they don’t have to wait for the answers. Chatbots work 24/7 without any delays.
- UiPath’s Success Story. This company has a bunch of robotic equipment. They’ve already created a robot that conquers approximately 99% of tasks since it can “see” screen elements.
Use Case 5. Demand Prediction
I’ve already mentioned the demand prediction. Artificial Intelligence technology tends to predict the demand for goods and their amount. As a result, companies can increase their profit by offering fast deliveries from local warehouses.
- DHL’s Success Story. DHL and Amazon work on increasing personalized customer experience. Amazon has created an AI assistant called Alexa. And users can ask Alexa any question about DHL parcels. The assistant tells the parcel’s location, delivery time, and more.
As you can see, AI brings many cool benefits to the logistics industry, from self-driven cars to back-office automation. Logistics companies can gain a lot of profit with the help of Artificial Intelligence.